HP Calibration Kit 2
S 1000 RR, HP4
- The current HP Race Calibration Kit is to be replaced by a new, revised version.
- The HP Race Calibration Kit 2 offers an extended range of functions with even more customisable settings for the HP4 and for the S 1000 RR facelift.
- The usable cope of functions remains unchanged for the pre-facelift S 1000 RR.
- Change to the language selection function: The software's user interface is available in English only (online help is in 5 languages).
- See 'Ordering information' for the new part numbers.
- Software tool for keen track riders, optimum add-on for the HP Race Power Kit.
- Custom parameterisation of electronic engine management and frame and running gear control systems for enhanced handling and ride characteristics
- Modifications to the motorcycle (e.g. exhaust system, tyres) or rider preferences can be taken into account in the setup
- Use only on racing circuits (no approval for use on public roads)
Dynamic Traction Control DTC
Adjustment for tyre parameters (circumference, shape and slip) possible to customise the response of the DTCsystem (control timing/rate).
Mode-dependent definition of a bank angle below which traction control is deactivated (to permit wheelies).
9 characteristic maps for adjustment
Together with the HP Race Power Kit, enables individual setup for each of the various riding modes (RAIN, SPORT, RACE and SLICK). Without the HP Race Power Kit, this is possible only in SLICK mode.
NEW: Traction control fine-tuning (only HP4): A standard feature of the HP4 is the possibility in SLICK mode of fine-tuning slip or control intensity while riding by means of the step-control button in the left multifunction switch. Step magnitude can be set with the HP Race Calibration Kit 2.
NEW: Adjustment of the DDC (Dynamic Damping Control) (only HP4):
Individual allocation of the DDC modes to each of the various riding modes
Adjustment of damper characteristics in each riding mode to suit rider preferences (hard or soft): front (front forks) and rear (spring strut) adjustable separately; compression and rebound stages adjustable separately for the spring strut; compression and rebound stages separately adjustable for the front forks only with spring travel sensor installed (see "Cross selling").
In combination with the Laptimer, sector-specific settings are possible ("corner by corner")
Set rear spring travel sensor to zero (e.g. after adjustments to the running gear)
NEW: Range of adjustment for launch control (only S1000RR facelift and HP4):
Engine-speed limiter for holding speed and cutout speed
Torque reduction characteristic: limitation of engine torque during the start phase
NEW: Range of adjustment for engine brake (only S1000RR facelift and HP4):
4 engine overrun torque characteristics, selectable for each gear and riding mode
Each characteristic produces a difference in the degree of throttle valve aperture as a function of engine rpm. This reduces the maximum braking force that is applied when the throttle valve snaps closed (keeps the rear wheel from locking).
NEW: Extended ABS settings (only S1000RR facelift and HP4):
Individual allocation of the programmed ABS presets to the 4 riding modes (S1000RR facelift: optionally 3 ABS presets; HP4: optionally 4 ABS presets incl. IDM setting)
Shift response of the HP shift assistant (OE/OA):
Set intervention speed (torque build-up after gearshift)
Speed limiter for the pit lane:
Set maximum engine rpm for 1st gear with starter button pressed
NEW: Save and clear the engine control unit fault memory (only S1000RR facelift and HP4)
Delete the adaptation values:
Restore adaptive parameters of the engine management system to the default settings
Adaptation values are settings that the engine management system "learns" automatically (to allow for certain motorcycle components such as the throttle-valve assembly and the exhaust system). If the components in question are changed the adaptation values have to be deleted so that the ECU of the engine management system can learn the new values for the modified or new components.
For more details, see the user guide.
- The HP Race Calibration Kit 2 enables the following functionalities to be adapted on a custom basis. Functions available for the first time with the HP Race Calibration Kit 2 are marked "NEW" below. These functions are not available for the pre-facelift S 1000 RR.
- Fuel injection quantity and ignition timing:
- - Custom adaptations to allow for modified powertrain components such as exhaust system, air intake ducting and camshafts
- - Custom adjustment of response in accordance with rider preferences and track profile (engine power and power uprating).
- - Allowing for track-specific ambient conditions such as relative humidity, for example.
Scope of supply
Data cable with USB adapter and ten-pin plug
Printed user guide in 5 languages (German, English, French, Spanish, Italian).
Content corresponds to online help.
Other languages are available as downloads (US English, Dutch, Portuguese and Japanese).
- Software CD, including installation instructions.
- User interface in English
- Detailed online help in 5 languages (German, English, French, Spanish and Italian)
The software has to be installed on a computer as described in the installation instructions. The computer used for this purpose must satisfy certain conditions, including the following minimum system requirements (see installation instructions for details):
MS Windows XP, MS Windows Vista or MS Windows 7
RAM: min. 1 GB
USB 2.0 interface
Enabling of the function in the vehicle's ECU by means of the corresponding enabling code:
If it is not enabled in this way the ECU of the engine management system will not accept the changes to the parameters.
Only an authorised BMW Motorrad dealership can enable the functionality, using a workshop system with ISTA/P.
The enabling code is orderable under a BMW part number (not included in scope of supply); online transmission to authorised BMW Motorrad dealership via ASAP.
Before this functionality is enabled in the ECU, the customer's attention must be drawn explicitly to the restricted warranty and to the fact that usage of the motorcycle is restricted to closed racing circuits (see attachment to the Product Information brochure).
The owner of the motorcycle must sign the form confirming enablement of the ECU.
Note on removal: Removal of the HP Race Calibration Kit 2 function is possible in ISTA/P (e.g. if the vehicle is to be sold on to another owner). Subsequent reactivation is possible only with a new enabling code, which can be ordered subject to cost.
- N.B.: The motorcycle's on-board electronic systems are influenced to a very significant extent with the HP Race Calibration Kit 2. Changing parameters to settings other than standard can lead to critical riding situations for which BMW Motorrad cannot provide safeguards.
- Retrofit of the HP Race Calibration Kit 2 possible as follows:
- EURO vehicle without power reduction (without option code 0703): BMW Motorrad recommends use in combination with the HP Race Power Kit. Retrofit is also possible with the series-production stock data release of the engine control unit or in combination with the HP titanium exhaust system (standard equipment for the K42).
- US vehicles and vehicles with option code 0178 "Control unit Asia": Retrofit possible only in combination with the HP Race Power Kit.
- pre-facelift S1000RR: Only in combination with the enabling code for the predecessor HP Race Calibration Kit (same functional scope as the predecessor HP Race Calibration Kit)
- S1000RR facelift and HP4: In combination with enabling code for HP Race Calibration Kit 2 (extended range of functions)
Modifying and transferring the data
See the user guide for more information on the parameters that can be adjusted.
Parameters that the customer has changed can be reset to the factory defaults in the menu (menu bar: "File" / "New (works settings)").
The settings in the data records can be worked on without actually connecting to the motorcycle.
The connection has to be established with a data cable in order for data to be transferred from the computer to the motorcycle.
NEW: When the connection is set up for the first time the system automatically pairs with the motorcycle (so that the current equipment configuration can be transmitted back to the computer).
The complete data record (consisting of a fixed number of adjustable parameters) is always transmitted. The data are active as soon as they have been transferred to the control unit and remain active until overwritten.
It is also possible to export data from the motorcycle to the computer.
A data record can be saved in a file or loaded from a file (enabling the administration of various data records and also enabling exchange with other users).
A data record can be transferred directly to another motorcycle only if the equipment configurations are exactly identical.
- Warnings requiring separate acknowledgement are issued each time the program is started.
- The parameters that can be configured with the HP Race Calibration Kit 2 are grouped on tabs.
- Changing parameters is a matter of switching certain functions on or off by means of checkboxes and entering values (characteristic values, characteristic maps and characteristic curves).
- Checkboxes: For example 'Lambda control OFF', 'Overrun cut-off OFF', 'Knock control OFF'
- Characteristic values: For example, 'Tyre radius front/rear'
- Characteristic maps (values table with 2 axes): For example 'Mixture correction factor' (for adapting injection time as a function of engine rpm and throttle-valve angle), 'Ignition correction offset' (for adapting ignition timing as a function of engine rpm and throttle-valve angle).
- Characteristic curves (values table with 1 axis): For example GripLevel
Recommended in combination with:
HP Race data logger for saving and analysing ride data
Extension box for data logger, available for ordering only directly from the 2D, Debus & Diebold Messsysteme GmbH company, email@example.com:
Additional functions to enhance the HP Race data logger (lambda measurement, analog inputs for front and rear spring-travel sensors, 2 free analog inputs)
Spring travel sensor, front, including holder, available for ordering only directly from the 2D, Debus & Diebold Messsysteme GmbH company, firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Measured data can be read out via the HP Race data logger
- Only HP4: Intervention in DDC possible via HP Race Calibration Kit 2 (per evaluation of measured data).
- Extensive range of HP Race parts.
- HP Race Power Kit
- Note: For US vehicles and vehicles fitted with option code 0178 "Control unit Asia", the HP Race Power Kit is obligatory as a prerequisite for retrofitting the HP Race Calibration Kit 2.
- Use only on racing circuits (no approval for use on public roads)
Designation: HP Race Calibration Kit 2 (1)
Part number: 77 53 8 544 507
Designation: (+)Enabling code for HP RaceCalibration Kit 2 (2)
Part number: 13 61 8 542 056
Designation: (o)Enabling code for HP Race Calibration Kit3
Part number: 13 61 8 522 449
(+) Essential for initial operation
(o) Alternative to preceding
(1) US vehicles and vehicles fitted with option code 0178 "Control unit Asia" only in combination with HP Race Power Kit
(2) HP4, S 1000 RR facelift (
(3) S 1000 RR pre-facelift